Image Map

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Bad Read

I've been really making time to read more.  Like I shared a few posts ago, I even stopped at the library. Can I just tell you how HAPPY I am that I did not waste my money [bad enough that I wasted my time] on a book??

I was all excited to find out that the new Brandi book Drinking and Dating {yes, she's a Beverly Hills Housewife, but not really because she's single.  That should have been my first clue} and I loved her last book.  I remember it wasn't long after having Brooke and I wasn't feeling well; I snuggled up with some chai tea and chuckled my way through it.

This book?

Utter crap.

How did it get 4 stars?

Have I really changed that much in a year?

I think I made it to page 30 before I was like what the heck am I doing?? Reading that book was like nails on a chalk board. Now, I don't quite get it, because like I said, I loved her last sarcastic, snooty, blatant and inappropriate talk.  This time however, I was over it in 2.2.  I think what did it for me was when she told her reader, "Oh and if you're happily married, you can just go eff yourself."  Again, language doesn't bother me; I get that it is important for people to express themselves, but this chick is so miserable and just whined about the same damn thing for 30 pages straight.

Maybe it got better.

Most likely it got worse.

But I just felt compelled to share my feelings…

It is very much like eating junk food.  {reading negative garbage like that}  It seems all harmless and in good fun, but then after you're done, you're asking yourself why?  I now feel worse than when I first started.   Like a few months ago when my girlfriends came over and we ordered pizza and garlic bread and I didn't take carb ease and I FELT HORRIBLE.  Like not emotionally horrible but physically just hurt.  Bad. Bad. Bad.  My stomach was upset and I could barely carry a conversation...Haven't done that again!!

Odd comparison.  Call me crazy.  But I returned that stupid book right back to the library for another person to read.  

I am really enjoying The Noticer and I am still picking up Hands Free Mama {which I am also applying to "wife" -- when hubby and I are together I leave my phone at home!!}


I don't have a ton of free time and so I guess when I do decide to read, I will be a little more aware of what I'm feeding my mind.  I love the way The Noticer makes me think and I enjoy bringing that into a conversation with friends, family or my husband.

Just food for thought…I'm not judging, like I said I had full intentions of enjoying that book, but man… If I want to hear about someone's pathetic love life, well, actually I don't. So yes Brandi, I will go "eff myself."

Have you stopped reading a book or watching tv because it's just bad for you!?!?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.

What good books are you ladies reading lately?

3 comments:

  1. Good for u!!! It is so true - I have stopped listening to radio stations that just complain and I try to only put into my brain positive vibes as much as possible. It is a choice. We have the power of that choice! It's just like eating - we have choices what we choose to put in our bodies and we have choices to what we put in our brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man lol and here i am telling you to read it!! oops! I guess reading about celebs, magazines, books or watching their shows is my little escape some times!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)