Image Map

Monday, August 18, 2014

Toddler "School"

I believe it is the nesting instinct kicking in, but I know that soon enough we are going to have cold weather and be stuck inside more often than not!  I have been keeping my eyes peeled for inexpensive ways to keep my busy body toddler entertained.  I know it won't work for all kids, and I admit, sometimes I do these activities and she has such a short attention span, I wonder if it's making a difference?  But it helps me feel better about the times when the TV is on, and my attention is not on her.

***These activities are used under my supervision only.  Small parts and a 1.5 year old, some things still go into the mouth, or she's just really messy with…so I am with her 100% hands on during this time.***

Target Dollar: 

I just went there last week and they have TONS of goodies for "back to school" and I feel like they're catering towards homeschoolers or at least us parents who like to do a little extra 'learning' at home.

Some supplies:

-counting shapes/colors
-stamps
-Hello Kitty play pack--these are so handy to bring out and about--restaurants etc.


I love these JUMBO ziploc bags that she hasn't quite figured out how to open!  I also keep them in a 3 tier plastic drawer organizer; the top drawer she can get into her crayons (which are broken) and coloring books (ripped) whenever she wants.  I keep the 'special ones' on the bottom, and if she does bring the ziploc bag to me, I know she wants to do them!



-magnetic numbers (perfect for the fridge or cookie sheets)



$1 Store
-special Minnie crayons to be used only with momma (so she doesn't break them on purpose)
-crayon holder


-Learning books--I am well aware she is far too young to "get" any of these concepts.  Honestly, why they work for me, is I don't always know what to say to her while we do these activities.  So we go through and trace, color, and I just read about what the pages say.  She listens, and that has to count for something.


Her faves include: Mickey, Sesame Street and anything with stickers--that crayola book had some!


Sometimes I spend her naps reading up on what else to do--this book is FULL of quick and simple ideas to work on sensory, gross and fine motor skills, as well as creativity. I am already bookmarking and writing down a lot of ideas!  I was excited to see I had done a few already!


Saturday {8.16.14}

We busted out the stamps--she was fascinated!


I also let her "paint" for the first time.


I just put a little bit of water in a bowl and gave her paint brushes.


She seemed to just like to play in the water, silly girl.





So even though I feel like I have no clue what I am doing and we have our rough patches, I do try to think of some creative and learning ways to spend parts of our day.  When all else fails, give her my jewels and clothes and she plays dress up.


I think she may be ready for some real live finger painting and maybe even some shaving cream fun?  I gotta get my supplies built up before snow flies and I'm waddling like a big old pregnant woman.  

I saw this "Frozen Erupting Snow" and may want to give it a whirl. Frozen Snow

Anything else I can try?

2 comments:

  1. Either Waba Fun's Kinetic Sand or PlayVisions' Sands Alive are great tactile products. Neither require water, which is great. They are for ages 3+, but I bet Brooke could use them with your supervision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great ideas! i may have to start copying you! ;) and that smock! so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)