Image Map

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

True Colors

February break came at the perfect time this year; the sun came out, the weather warmed a bit and the kids had so much fun on play dates.  

We got outside, we went out for lunch, visited friends and Brooke even had a sleepover with her cousin.  

Of course with that came germs and so the last few days have been a little, um, trying?  I keep reminding myself that they're not throwing up, so it could be worse!! I also remind myself that they're only little once and even though 24-48 hours with one sick kid, let alone 2, seems like an eternity, they will get better, the house will get cleaned and life will resume as normal, hopefully sooner than later! 

For now it's been cuddling, wiping noses, drying tears, watching Trolls on repeat, and trying to get them to eat something other than popsicles, pudding and jello.  Thank goodness for Blue Hawaiian Punch that hides the flavor of Advil so well.   

I was able to sneak in a quick 20 minutes to shower and get dressed yesterday and then Bradley was up.  The only way I was able to make the bed was when they watched Trolls, but even then he climbed back up the stairs and said, "Mommmm cuddle pweeease."  It's pretty hard to resist that request.  

I've been listening to him whine, "Mommy I so sad," which I think he means sick, but he's probably said that over 100 times, no joke.  

We watched so much TV the last few days my mind is mush, but what else can you do when they're this little and don't feel well?  


Motherhood is a funny thing; we yearn for time away, to not be clung to, hung on, snotty noses wiped on....and yet as soon as we are away, it takes all of us not to rush right back and have them in our arms.

I so badly miss when they were little at times, and yet I love the ages that they are at.  However, I catch myself daydreaming of when they're a little bigger and all of the fun traveling, exciting activities and grown up kid stuff we'll endure.

We watched the movie Collateral Beauty Sunday night, after the kids went to bed and we were just exhausted.  The fire was going and we sat there in silence, taking in the movie.  Love. Time. Death.  It was quite a bit heavier than I anticipated, and yet it was just what we needed to watch.  We're never promised tomorrow and love certainly does make this world go around.  And death? It's a sure thing, it's just that we don't know when.  

So as hard or trying as some days can be, and boy there can be some doozies!  Just take time and reflect on what brings you joy; what good is in your life and what are you excited about tomorrow?

I was writing in my Style Boss Happiness Planner that I earned with stella & dot and every day you're to write down what you're excited about.  Well, the days where I had a date night planned or a fun play date with the kids, those were easy to see what I was excited about!  

But what about on a Monday where one has a fever of 101 and the other is coughing and just not quite herself?  What can I possibly be excited about??  And that is where my mental attitude needed to shift. I needed to start looking for something to be excited about every day, especially the normal mundane Mondays, because that's what life is mostly made up of.  The fancy date nights and super fun play dates are not the every day.  That's what makes them so exciting.  I realize that I can be excited that I get to be the one taking care of these sick babes and I don't have to call in to anyone and explain my absence. 

I get to make homemade 'magic healing soup' for us on a whim.

I get to see my husband in the middle of the day to feed him a quick lunch.

I get to give my babes my (mostly) undivided attention and have no other work I "have to do."

I get to love on them, bathe them, read them stories, cuddle them, and love them. 

I get to be their mommy. 

That alone should excite me every stinking day.

As we tried to get Brooke to eat her breakfast and Bradley sat crying in his chair and then crying on the couch, "I'm so sad," Joe and I wished each other good luck.  He's got his end of the month today, which means his early night of 5pm will not be happening and he'll probably be lucky to get home before 11.  He knows I'll be a single spouse for the day into the night, again.  I woke up with a runny nose and sore throat myself, so I could use a little luck.  Hopefully some rest, tea and fresh juices will kick it. 

He then sent me a song after he dropped Brooke at preschool.




If you haven't watched Trolls, I'm not sure what you're waiting for. Don't wait to have kids, just go rent it yourself!!  My favorite part is this one and I tear up every time I see it.  



My favorite quote, 

"Happiness isn’t something you put inside, it’s already there. Sometimes you just need someone to help you find it."

Happy Tuesday sweet friends!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)