Image Map

Monday, March 2, 2015

Life Lately {with a 6 week old}

Well hello there, blog.   How have you been?  I'm doing much better today, thank you.  It's been rocky around these parts…nothing terrible, but we've had a fussy Mr and after lots of research, talks, Dr. visits, we believe baby boy has reflux.   It kind of just sneaks up on you and you don't even realize it.  The first few weeks were easy peasy…then all of a sudden week 4 hit and BAM.  We had a really cranky and upset child. He rarely sleeps.


He has always been rather fussy, but I thought maybe some babies are just more clingy and I was honestly kind of excited he liked to be held so much, because his independent sister? Not so much. She was so content in her swing or play mat, we would just play with her that way.  We never got into baby wearing much; but this dude?  He is a CUDDLEBUG.  Again, I don't mind that at all!


But if you can see in my eyes, the little bit of worry; it's the constant crying and seeming like he's in pain that started to really get to me.


He is hard to burp, and I fight for the little littlest amount of air to come out.  We used to call him Mr. Toots because the first few weeks all he did was rip out some super loud ones!  Lately if he does, it's because we are doing the baby exercises and trying to get him to pass gas.


He's so cute and lovable; I just want to see him smiling and cooing always! When he's in discomfort, it just makes my heart ache. It's awful!


Even though I get up at night, this man hears me get up and come back to bed, over and over again. He works crazy long hours and after this weekend, I feel like I could marry him all over again, because when shit gets real, and you feel like you're at your wits end, you should be able to go to your husband and cry and tell him you're trying everything in your power to fix things by yourself, but sometimes you need some help.  I feel bad for crying like that in front of him, because I know it broke his heart to see me so, but that's what you do in a real marriage; you open yourself up and bare your most vulnerable self and know that you've picked the right soul mate in life, if he is there to hold you, comfort you and doesn't leave your side.  It may sound dramatic to someone reading this, but when you're averaging 1-2 hours of sleep and getting a total of maybe 5 broken up hours a night, it adds up.  So, thank you Joseph, for always pushing me to be my best, but always holding my hand and helping me up when I am at my worst.


This week was a bit of a blur, but there were some highlights I am so grateful for!  My mother in law had planned on coming over on Thursday {2.26} so that I could go to my 6 week check up. <---all is well btw and if I can, I am going to workout TODAY!!  She watched both kids so I could even go have lunch with my hubs--hence the solo bathroom selfie at the dealership--I took it to remind myself of that small reprieve in our crazy lives and did not take it for granted.


She was able to see the tiredness in my eyes and the look of defeat, as I really was beginning to fall apart with no sleep.  Apparently Joe was like this as a baby and she remembers all too well, sleepless nights and endless crying.  She even offered to come over again on Saturday so I could nap a bit.  Oh, and need I not forget the AMAZING Chicken French she made for us and she came over Saturday with Pork chops and potatoes.  OMG.  The best way to describe how I felt with her coming over, was like a fresh warm and cozy blanket, pulled straight from the dryer and being wrapped around me.  I needed help, and I certainly don't like asking for it, and she didn't ask; she just said offered.  Thank you Mama D, for being such an angel in my life!! These babies are so blessed to have you as their grandma.


I even had a few minutes to spare to run to Target, and I was super excited to see the Easter stuff out, so I stocked up on a few things for the kids' baskets.


I then had an appointment for B because the gas, fussiness, thrush, basically everything was coming to a head and I needed to talk to someone.   I gave the lowdown/whole life story of the past few weeks, and she noted a few things…

I had started nursing him 1-2 hours.  He cried, I put him to the boob.  It was an endless and exhausting cycle. His current weight is 13 lbs and that is REALLY big for a 6 week old.  She said to do whatever I had to, to space the feeds out because maybe the food was not digesting and that was causing him to spit up, get gas, be fussy etc.

She also said he does not have Thrush (like another Dr had said) and she claims it is just milk tongue.  It should go away when he's done breastfeeding.

As for the reflux? It could be, but to start spacing out the feeds first and she prescribed baby Zantac if we want to try it.

This Dr doesn't believe what foods I eat should bother baby, but apparently that's a huge debate in and of itself.


Talk about mommy guilt, this one has been so, so, so good. Like, I can't even explain how amazing she plays by herself--it seriously is crazy.  She is learning to be patient, as "brudder is crwying" and I try to really make efforts to have some one on one time with her when Daddy is home.  Last night we read books and played with her kitchen set.  She still has her moments where she can get dramatic, whiny, and starts repeating things over and over and over and over.  I just hope to get into a routine so I can take the kids places and not feel like a zombie!


SO that leaves us to today; after getting a nap in late yesterday afternoon and some sleep last night {read 3 hours uninterrupted, followed by an hour, then another 2…so not too bad!}  I woke up feeling more humanlike and not so drained.  I'm not even kidding when I say, I feel like I could barely form sentences or even should have driven to my chiro appointment on Friday.  I know it's what parents do, but man, sleep is so so important and I just hope to get things under control.



Our current plan is to continue spacing out his feeds every 3-4 hours.  We are using the gas drops.  Keeping him upright 20-30 mins after a feed. I have omitted quite a bit from my diet--I always try to limit processed foods, but I am stepping up the ante there.  I am also going:
-dairy free
-soy free
-staying away from highly acidic foods (which is tricky bc I love fruits!)
-I admit caffeine is the hardest. I tried to just not have any yesterday and I ended up with a big old headache….so I may have to wean myself.

If this doesn't work, we have the baby zantac drops, but we are hoping he grows out of this and just won't need them.

So far this wrap has been working, as I've been able to actually type a blog post for the first time in a long time and chase after Brooke as well.  I know parenting is not easy but man, when you have a screaming crying baby you just want him to be happy and feel well!  I am going to remain optimistic that this will pass soon and we will all be getting more sleep and feel better.  I know he could have way worse problems and that out of anything that could be wrong, in a way I am glad it's 'only' reflux.

That is what we have been up to and I hope to be able to keep up with blogging and just being "normal" soon!  Babies [children] don't come with an instruction manual, so I find the best thing is to just talk to other mommies and daddies and just keep trying things until they work.

The weather is starting to warm up, which is exciting, since February was the coldest month EVER, we legit hit the record here in our city.  Wonderful!!  Spring will be here soon.  I am ready!!  Happy Monday friends.

2 comments:

  1. looks like you are doing great. I loved the wrap back When Julian was small.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you momma! Hang in there things will get better! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)