Image Map

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Santa {and things}

Happy Hump Day and Happy Birthday to my friend Shelby!!  It's officially the first day of Winter and although I love Summer, I have learned, in my old age, to embrace the now and be happy where I am at.  The more I try to say, "I'll be happy when," the more miserable I am.  If I can be grateful for what I have today, then I feel more fulfilled.

I was listening to Joyce Meyer this morning while getting breakfast ready and I really liked what she had to say.  "God did not give us self-control to control anyone else other than ourselves."  I needed to hear that.   It's been a trying week, to say the least, and just when I think my heart or mind can't take any more, it is then that I release and let go.  There is no changing, healing, or fixing others.  I know it's in my nature to help and I think that's what makes me a really great mom.  But I only have two small children and the rest of the people in my life are adults.  I need to remember that it's not my job to try and make peace or for everyone be in the same place that I am.  I try very hard to love people where they are and for what they are, but it is not easy.

So I re-centered my focus on my two kids.   We made peanut butter blossoms and blasted Christmas music yesterday.  I had to alternate from wearing a broken pair of reindeer antlers and a Santa hat. {my 3 year old's orders!} I have shed many tears and felt frustrated beyond belief.  I've reached out to my friends and family who get me and talked through things.  This time of year is not easy for everyone and yet I know that it is my job to make this time of year extra special for our children and us.

So if you're having a rough time, do things that make you happy.  Put on the carols, bake some cookies, drink the holiday tea and enjoy what is right in front of you.  Don't wish for something more, don't worry about what has been or what will be.  Give yourself grace and know that life is not a Hallmark movie, but you can create moments that will serve as beautiful memories.




This tea is so good!
As for our trip to Santa? Eh...


Brooke was nervous and kept twirling her dress.


Santa also came to preschool and she was SUPER excited to see him there.



My crew.


Because at the end of the day, you just need to find your tribe and love them hard.  Love them with everything you've got and just a little bit more.


Embrace the mess. Enjoy the chaos and breathe.  I hope if you are reading this and are struggling to find your Christmas spirit, that you focus on some things that you are grateful for and by changing your mindset, you can feel the love just a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)