Image Map

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Introvert vs Extrovert

I don't know if anyone is enjoying reading these blog prompts for #blogtember but I am having fun writing them!! It's nice to breakaway from my mundane, "daily life" blogs…although I have some adorable photos from the weekend, so I will be posting those soon!! I know my family loves seeing little miss Brooke.

Onto today--I really am split down the middle as far as being extroverted or introverted.  Growing up I was always the shy one; the only time I would really put myself out there, would be on stage when I danced.  I hated being in front of a room public speaking and I rarely, ok really never, went to big parties.

Then I went off to college and since I wanted to be a teacher, and I was giving presentations, doing small teachings and a bunch of things that really made me step out of my comfort zone.  Right after college I started teaching 7th and 10th grade English and I had no choice but to be able to communicate effectively and not be shy.

Along the way, I realized that staying home alone all the time and always keeping a nose in a book isn't really the way I wanted to live life.   I may not always be the person who sparks a conversation, but I am still getting better at trying to put myself out there with strangers.  My husband has the "gift of gab" and he can make anyone and everyone feel at ease and just start up a conversation out of no where.  I feel like I try to sometimes and it fizzles out and I don't really know the right questions to ask…and I will fully admit, if we are together in a social situation, he tends to take the lead.

[I'm specifically speaking in mommy terms, I suppose.]  I take Brooke to different activities and I always love trying to talk to other mommies, but they sometimes give me funny looks like, "why do you care how old my kid is?" I honestly like to learn and talk to people…and I feel like it's something this society is drifting away from.  So many people like to just sit on their cell phones while their kids run around like maniacs instead of talking face to face with a stranger.

I'm not letting it get me down, but it just means I need to keep putting myself out there and not let negative thoughts get in the way.  I have to not assume people don't like me, my gosh they don't even know me!

As for our 'down time' Joe and I love both a crazy night out on the town and a quiet evening in.  The crazy nights tend to happen FAR less often around here, and really the extent of crazy is going to dinner with friends and getting home after 11.  Being pregnant usually means lots of couch time, reading and writing blogs, and hubby playing his Madden game. But we did have a blast at the Ugly Disco and I think that getting all dressed up and dancing to disco music was probably one of the highlights of 2014!

I know that all of the leadership books I read and the group of awesome people all involved with AdvoCare really encourage me to just "go for it." I think that self-doubt will always try and hold you back and fear is not a good thing!  Sometimes you just have to stop negative thoughts in their tracks and just do it..whatever it is!

So after thinking about this prompt, I think it goes back to what Steve Chandler says in his 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself book, "You have no personality."  Essentially, each of us can make up who we want to be along the way.  You don't have to be shy and quiet, or crazy and loud all of the time.  That is the beauty of life--make yourself up as you!  You can choose to do things to make you happy or that make you miserable.  Everything in life is a choice.

Since I am a Leo, I do believe that may play a part in me loving attention. I would not consider myself a wallflower, by any means. I love birthdays and occasions where it's all about me.  What can I say?  I also enjoy the opposite end, and making others feel special on their special days.  I just feel like life is TOO short to not live up certain moments.

How about you?  Are you introverted or extroverted?


2 comments:

  1. I like the way you approached this. We all have our introverted and extroverted times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. I'm enjoying writing these prompts to.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)