Image Map

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not your Average Salad




I make a delicous salad.  It's not just lettuce, carrots, & tomatoes over here!  Pending on my mood, what's in season, and what's in the cupboard, I'll throw just about any fresh ingredients together, just to try out different combinations!  It's kind of become 'my signature item to bring' because I put so much thought into a salad. 
It's always a hit!

Start with the salad basics. 
  • Organic greens {I prefer a spinach/spring lettuce mix}
  • Organic carrots
  • Organic tomatoes {romas or cherry are best}
  • Organic scallions
Then play around with fruits--
I recommend one or two in a salad, too much fruit and it quickly turns into a fruit salad--
which is not what we are going for!
  • Organic strawberries
  • Organic kiwi
  • Organic raspberries
  • Organic apple
  • Organic dried cranberries
  • Organic pear
  • Organic avocado----this, my friends, will make your salad stand out far more than any others!
Because what we are eating is so raw & natural, it is best to get organic.  My rule is typically, if it has a skin covering it, and it's not organic then I'll probably buy it.  However, with  foods such as lettuce/tomatoes/carrots, I really try to buy organic.  (and local!)

Extras: {Again, just one or two.}
  • Nuts {walnut, pine, almond slivers, cashews, caramelized pecans}
  • Cheese {Parmesan, extra sharp cheddar, an aged gouda, crumbly blue, mozzarella}
  • Play with the way you use cheese: grated, sliced, chunks, whatever!
  • Croutons--we typically don't use, but you could.
Our secret weapon:
  • Cilantro
 Some people don't like cilantro, so you could substitute one of the following:
  • Basil
  • Parsley
  • Mint
  • Any fresh herb!!
Dressings:

  • Of course, we stick with Italian, we really like Good Seasons.
  • Mix 2/3 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil & 2/3 cup of white vinegar.
  • I also really like Marie's Poppy Seed ~thank you Alison! It's perfect with apple & sharp cheese.
  • A little EVOO & Balsamic Vinegar, maybe some spices/herbs
  • Lemon juice & EVOO--simple & refreshing
Whatever you do, DO NOT add avacado until you're ready to serve (turns brown & mushy=gross) and same goes for adding your dressing. I think it's best to toss it all together, but be sure to do so as people are sitting down to eat. 


Any other fabulous salad ideas out there?? I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

  1. That salad looks soooo good! I try to buy organic when I can too. I love avocado in salads.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Each & every comment is so very much appreciated!! :)